PERSONALIZED AND SPECIALTY PLATE OPTIONS
** IMPORTANT NOTICE **
Effective Monday, Dec. 30,2019, motorists purchasing or renewing select special license plates at county clerk offices will be required to pay a $10 charitable donation to the organization represented on the requested plate. Currently, $10 donations are optional. This change impacts 29 special license plates administered. New fees for the 29 special license plates, including the required $10 donation, will be $44 at initial purchase and $44 at annual registration renewal.
The 29 organizational plates with a new donation requirement are :
*Alzheimer’s Awareness, *Autism Awareness, *Breast Cancer Awareness, *Kentucky Chiropractic Association, *Choose Life, * WHAS Crusade 4 Children, *Curing Childhood Cancer, *Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, *Kentucky Firefighter Association, *Friends of Coal, *Juvenile Diabetes, *Keeneland Association,* KEEP Foundation, *Kentucky Colonel, *Kentucky Dental Association, *Kentucky Library Association, *League of Kentucky *Sportsmen,* Linemen, * Louisville Zoo, *Masonic Order of KY,* Norton Children’s Hospital, *Quail Unlimited, *Rock Cares, *Ryder Cup, *Share The Road, *Small mouth Bass, *Trust for Life and * National Wild Turkey Federation
We apologize but unfortunately our office has no control over these changes as they are statewide, If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
*Please find attached a copy of the letter our office received from the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing on Wednesday December 18, 2019 *
Standard issue passenger plates (Unbridled Spirit and In God We Trust), the standard issue motorcycle plate, military plates and special plates can be personalized.
Personalized plates are regulated by the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 186.174, KRS 186.164 (9) (c) thru (g) and Kentucky Administrative Regulations (KAR) 601 KAR 9:012. For a list and image of all plates, visit the Plate List application page.
All personalized plate requests must be pre-approved by the Cabinet’s Personalized Plate Review Committee prior to submitting an application to your County Clerk. To initiate the personalized plate application process, you must complete the following forms and take the necessary steps:
- Visit the Plate List application page to check the availability of the character combination/s of your request. You will do this by clicking on the image of the plate you are interested in and click on the “PERSONALIZE THIS PLATE”.
- Once availability has been checked, submit your online request, click on the “REQUEST THIS PLATE” button.ï¿½€‹
If your plate request is PRE-APPROVED by the Kentucky Cabinet of Transportation
- Upon receipt of your pre-approval notification, take your pre-approval notification to your County Clerk’s Office in the county where you reside and complete form TC 96-342, Application for Personalized License Plate. You may download the form and print, or obtain a copy of the form at your County Clerk’s Office.
- Pay the $25.00 personalized plate fee to your county clerk. This is in addition to the registration fee applied to each plate.
*For a list of plates and their registration fees, visit the Plate List application page.
- All pre-approval notifications will be emailed and/or mailed to the address referenced on the online request form and/or to your County Clerk’s office.
Note: Your plate request is granted on a first come, first serve basis.There is a possibility that your plate request may become unavailable if the same request was received prior to your submission being processed by your County Clerk.You will be notified if this is the case.
If you have additional questions or concerns you may email these to [email protected] for further assistance or go to https://drive.ky.gov/motor-vehicle-licensing/Pages/License-Plates.aspx